“…a voice on the traveling wind”
Covers can obviously be great, but quite often I am a bit disappointed. The artists want to celebrate their musical heroes themselves, sure, but is it as emotional for me? Not so often. The last album in the “Remastered in vinyl IV” box is Kate’s collection of songs not written by herself. Kate Bush being an artist that is defined by her writing skills, I find this at best a curiosity. All cats stay safe!
The traditional songs are the most interesting. “My lagan love” is a beautiful little song with no music. It is music from the north and west.
How about Kate as a jazz singer? Yes, yet again we have a great example of her mastering a new musical genre. She is impeccable singing George & Ira Gershwin’s “The man I love”. Her cover is like a movie from the Coen brothers.
Kate’s voice is in the forefront in the traditional song “The handsome cabin boy” as well as the Donovan song “Lord of the Reedy River” and it’s very nice singing. She has some eerie background noises on the latter, is it a plastic box that does that sound?
Neither of the two Elton John songs take off. She finally got to work with him on the song “Snowed in at Wheeler Street” on the “50 words for snow” album, and that was wonderful. The overall production of “Candle in the wind” is disappointing, too cheesy even though the singing is emotional and fragile, as always with Kate.
Overall, this album gives me the feeling of fillers or a companion piece, fragmented and something of “minor” Kate Bush. A must for all fans though.
My rating: 5/10
- Rocket man (Elton Jon. from the 1989 album “Two rooms”, also single in 1991)
- Sexual healing (Marvin Gaye. b-side to the “King of the mountain” single 2005. Recorded 1994)
- Mná na hÉireann (Traditional. from the 1996 album “Common Ground – Voices of Modern Irish Music”)
- My lagan love (Music: Traditional, lyrics: Kate Bush. b-side of the “Cloudbusting” single 1985)
- The man I love (Gershwin. from the 1994 album “The Glory Of Gershwin”)
- Brazil (Sam Lowry’s first dream) (Gilliam/McKeown/Stoppard)
- The handsome cabin boy (Traditional. b-side of the “The Hounds of love” single 1986)
- Lord of the Reedy River (Donovan. b-side of the “Sat in your lap” single 1981)
- Candle in the wind (Elton John. b-side of the “Rocket man” single in 1991)
Best songs: “My lagan love”, “The man I love” and “The handsome cabin boy”
Produced by: Kate Bush
Released: November 30, 2018